1. Read: Discussion Background
UMA graduate, Miguel, is currently searching for a job and has been actively interviewing. In fact, he has two interviews scheduled for later this week. Miguel is also very active on social media and prides himself on having a large volume of likes and followers. In order to obtain more followers, he often follows people he doesn’t know. Recently, Miguel has been following several individuals who have extreme anti-immigration views and often promote violence. Miguel likes these posts. Today, Miguel received a call from one of his potential employers and his interview was canceled. The potential employer stated, “Our office serves a diverse patient base and we do not believe you are a good fit for our company.” Miguel believes the potential employer reviewed his social media activity.
2. Initial Post: Create a new thread and answer all three parts of the initial prompt below
- Explain whether it is fair for employers to judge Miguel based on his social media usage.
- Describe how Miguel could change his use of social media after this incident.
- Think objectively about your own current digital footprint. Considering that Miguel lost a job opportunity due to his social media activity, explain what you will change in your own social media activity.